Thursday, August 18, 2005

that's how I roll...

i did get in the afternoon ride on tuesday. went well. 2 hours, in the 65-70% range... (my runs are usually like 85%, frisbee, i don't wear the heart monitor, and i'm not doing intervals yet. I should probably wear it, just to see). Yesterday was 1.5 mile run up College way, and then ran the steps 6 times, then a hill run, so like, 7 solid intervals... the whole workout took about 1.25 hours, plus a core workout. Not a great workout for me (tired from a few days of doubles), but no vomit. This a.m., some mini and dutch drill (3 v. 3 in a box, 10 consecutive completions = 1 point, games to 3 or 5 or whatever). The kids are getting it.

By getting it, I mean lots of blades, pushing, and shoving.

Some anecdotes...
At the running camp recently, the head coach Dave had left a walkie talkie w/ some straggling kids... they were freshmen, so even though there were technically no wrong trails to take, he was concerned by their tardiness after the long run... While standing 10 feet away from, in full view of the 35 or so student runners who were eating milling, drinking water, whatever, but hidden behind a tent, I did my best squeaky voiced impersonation of a 9th grader. Playing on the abillity of people to misunderstand walky talky chatter, I managed to keep Dave going for several minutes... It was especially ridiculous, because my voice was like some kind of cartoon character, and the walky talkie makes a huge electronic CHIRP everytime you release the button... did i mention I was 10 feet away (and to be fair, dave is a really bright guy)

me: he- he- hello? (CHIRP)
dave: is this the freshmen, come in, come in (CHIRP)
me: uh - uh- yeah, where do we turn? (CHIRP)
dave: OK, WHEN YOU GET TO THE LAKE, TURN LEFT. (CHIRP)
me: uh, leak? leak? what leak? (CHIRP)
dave: LAKE, IT"S A BODY OF WATER. (CHIRP)
me: B- Body? What body.(CHIRP)

etc.

Good times. Almost as exciting as the time we (Sockeye) bounced back from a disappointing semis loss to Ring of Fire to close off the Beer Tent at nationals and start carding everyone there... I may write a script treaty of it sometime (narrative doesn't really do it justice)... suffice to say, the 55 year old guy didn't initially think it was funny, but he came around.

I've bogged down in Killer angels... I kind of know the ending.

I picked up a Parenti book about 9/11 called the Terrorism Trap, and an Illustrated version of The Right Stuff... Yesterday I read Rain Fall, by Eisler. This hitman dude kicks some ass. Pretty good. Kind of sort of like what a Clancy book would be like, if Clancy didn't suck.

Later, more ultimate... tonight, one of my Library DVD's either 28 Days Later, Ronin, or Spartan. Haven't seen Spartan yet.

No comments: