Tuesday, August 30, 2005

summit

Team Time Trial today. I had to work, so I didn't get to see it, but the results are impressive. This years girls, led by some really talented frosh (the number 1 runner) equaled last years Oregon Bronze medalists (Summit), and our boys team this year is unreal. We should get at least 5 runners below 17, which makes it reasonable to talk about notable performances at states. Of course, this was just 3 kilometers, and states is a ways off...

Speaking of work, I'm cranking. With 3 more work days before the kids arrive (I guess I'm allowed to work on the labor day weekend, but...) I'm getting there. I'm several weeks ahead in World History. Tommorrow, I'll work up my rough syllabus revision for U.S.

Interestingly, we've got some new web features, so I'll be able to post syllabus, lecture notes, readings in .pdf, etc. for kids who get sick, etc. I've not received my user i.d. and such, but it is apparently, kind of blog like.

My goal this year is to increase the amount of primary source reading (for example, Bismarck's explantion of why France must be crushed) AND develop some relevant games and sims. Honestly, the games will have an entertainment component as well, but 30 minutes out of 540 each week doing education 'lite' will probably just help keep things moving. Besides, I'm kind of 'anti-movie' so this is the carrot to the stick of higher expectations for reading and writing.

In other news, seriously, did you know new orleans is below sea level? I think i'd have left.

On the excercise front, Sunday, 18 mile road ride, frisbee in evening, monday, 5 mile run, evening frisbee. Today, relative rest. I've got some kindof knee-itis from 3 weeks of doubles... but I'm hopeful that as school starts and i only can work out w/ the team, the 'relative' rest will fix me up. I'm also doing all sorts of core strengthening, and icing and stretching, and trying to eat well.

Sectionals in a couple weeks, with the return of a couple noted players from the past. Guess their names and receive a prize. Not really doing anything in particular to train up for it (as in speed work, etc.) but I'm staying more or less on top of throwing... it finally seems to be getting back to pre - fracture form.

That's all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think any guys will be under/close to 16? How much mileage are these guys doing?

From what I remember (it's been a while) that sounds like a really, really good team. Should be exciting.

Have you in the past consistently had teams this good, or is this just an exceptionally strong class?

Luke said...

The School is just 5 years old. But it's going to be good at this stuff (4 straight nordic championships, etc.).

Sub 16's? Dylan will (has), Freshman Tosch will (this year? Maybe)We'll see, Mark and Carl will be close. Summer Mileage varies from kid to kid. Top kids did a lot. Except for Karl, who is made entirely of tendon, (skinny) and Tosch, who played a lot frisbee, and biked. And other stuff. He's a genetic badass.

Most of the PR's will come at the Puma Classic, a fast flat course here in Bend. The state course is often a little slow (mud/crowding).

Stay tuned