Thursday, July 12, 2007

dueling titles...

i can't decide between...

'I have been to the mountain' and 'Googly moogly i am such a dumb shit'

Got up at 6, had some cereal, turned on the tour. After biking up to frisbee practice this morning with a sack full of cleats and cones, and T-shirts, (10 total, played dutch, and mini, talked about marking drill, breaking mark, and facing mark), I watched the start of Stage 2 of the Cascade Cycling Classic (A big multi day stage race held here annually, Lance Armstrong used it as his springboard after his recovery). I thought, gosh, I should go for a ride. So, I went home, drank a smoothie. And jumped on the bike. I should have had like 2 eggs, some yogurt, etc. Oh, and left say, 3 hours earlier.

Instead, It's 11, and i'm walking out the door. With $5 in cash, my drivers license, and 2 water bottles. I THINK I had pump, tube, tire irons, etc. 80 miles later, I limped home. But most of the ride was awesome. I road to this cool observatory and pass so a couple thousand (plus) elevation gain net... a sweet view (high country lava field, check out DEE WRIGHT OBSERVATORY.

Needless to say, the sparse food i had, and the 2 power bars i bought with my 5 dollars led to some late game bonking. I also got a lemonade. In general Hydration wasn't too bad, I managed to pound 7 bottles (refilling) over the course of the ride... and I ran into two friends training for a 24 hour adventure race, who gave me some fructose and sucrose (like more gatorade, and a vitawater) but i was seriously bonked. And the heat was, well, minimum 100-105, riding for part of it on a good sized state highway, in what all of you (by all of you, i mean, you, the reader (singular))... so perceived / reflective heat was harsh.

I stopped once i got off the highway and walked into a farm field, and stood in the irrigation sprinkler, and stopped again probably 7 miles (yes, a measly 7 miles) from home when i saw some people feeding horses in a barn right off the road... where they not only had water but also a fruitjuice, and a banana.

so i made it.

Parts of me actually felt suprisingly good. My dogs were barking a bit, but 80 miles in cycling shoes will do that, but I kept my cadence low enough to stay in a fat burning metabolism... but i truly, truly truly bonked.

But the view was nice. Hence the dueling titles.

Here's the
map.
I like the 'hybrid' button to see the climate changing as you bike east.

So things to improve: Eat more before. Don't ride 80 miles without throwing in the 60 miler. Take more money. Buy more food. Don't ride in the heat of the day. Don't go by myself (share the lead, share the work)

What did i do well.
Well, I did use sunscreen, looking now, no, i should have re-applied that two. Dumb shit it is. But not two significantly sunned.

1 comment:

Luke said...

i mis wrote... i actually kept my cadence up, but went generally slowly. i think i averaged 15 mph overall, like 17 with the stoppage time... still tough day.