Wednesday, January 03, 2007

another day in paradise...

... but it's raining like hell. and about 32 at the mountain, 42 here... white rain all around. a shit-ton of new snow. but too warm for good skiing. i'll hit it tommorrow, when it should be 1.5 feet of fresh, and a high of -7 C... perfect... But significantly, this is the first day i've not skied Since Dec 18th, which, along with the 15th, 11th, and the 8th, and the 4th. And 3 days in november. Pretty much the only days I haven't skied Since november 18th. So something like 37 days thus far. And yes, the ski suit needs washing. But not 38 days worth. Like 2 or 3.

...today, i made a list of things to do... kind of a year end thing, and making a list of things to do is easier for me to do than doing. casualty of the great ritalin experiment of the 1990's. Ritalin worked great for me for the year or two i took it. 4.0 at college, dedicated in my workouts, and then one day, i ran out of Ritalin. And I forgot to get more.

Flash forward to now, well, I'm more of a 'big picture' guy now...

Here's the way the list started...

Yearly Goals
1) Always get grading done on time. Eff that.
2) Achieve improvements at Nordic Skiing, Biking and 5K times. Certainly do-able, and enjoyable.
3) Coach, and play frisbee from March until, say, mid september. Maintain form, attend 3 tournaments. 3 Doesn't seem like a lot, but it's a drive to get to most tourneys worth, especially, 'competetive' ones. But it will force me to be consistent with my stretching, and help with everything else. Plus, it's fun...
4) Oh, improve my teaching trade craft, blah, blah... i should probably throw that in there...
5) eat out less. Add additional savings towards retirement...
6) Juggle 5 balls (ambitious)
7) Continued Improvement w/ guitar.

I'm not even going to bother with like, keep room clean, etc...


That's close enough to 10.

This brought me to daily goals...

1) Ride trainer for 2 hours. I went and got a video of the 1999-2000 world cup cross country pursuit, so i'll have something to look at. but i need the LSD (long slow distance) of a bike, more than i need to run, so... I'll probably do this. Especially if it means skiiping
2) Clean room
3) Organize garage, do laundry
4) Grade papers (52 of them, 6 essays each)
5) Play guitar... (A-hA! now we're back in the realm of realistic, achievable goals)
6) Juggle.. ditto
7) Read some Harry Potter in French, or do some excercises in French.

Just to round it out to 10, let's combine 2-4 into some more realistic goals. I know it sounds like i'm just eliminating the onerous chores in favor of screwing around on my computer, and doing some more palatable tasks...

8) Prep skis. Done and Done... well, i'll get around to it.
9) Clean wax box. Ok, fine, whatever.

Hey look something shiny...

But the new year is a time for fun-lists as well. And since i have no real desire to do anything 'relevant' or 'productive' Here's my list.

Top 10 names I would want to name my kid, if i ever get married, and ever have a kid. You see how productive this is. But my dad wanted to name me Huckleberry Finn Smith, and while I'm pretty happy with my name, and well, with me, I think I might change my name to Huckleberry Finn Smith. Or Joe Kick Ass.

10) A category: Boys names based on Automobile names. You might think these are stupid, but you have no creativity. Big shout-out to my friends at Jeep. I mean, CRV just doesn't roll off the tounge, and western themed names can't be beat.
Laredo, Commanche, Lariat, Cherokee, Ranger, Bronco (although, i prefer Bronko), Eagle, Mustang, Trooper (the one japanese entry in the top 15), Cougar, Jaguar, Rover, Commander. You pick 10, and it's a top 10 with in a top 10

Cars that failed the test Cimarron (worst Caddy ever, basically a Chrysler K-Kar), Pinto, DeLorean, 325i, and Caravan, Gremlin

6) Girls names basded on automobiles. (yes, I just skipped 9-7, you think i'm really going through with this whole process?) Corvette. Miata. Marquise. Lexus. Alero. Lumina. Actually, most of these are not as good. I just can't imagine burdening a daughter with the name Alero.


Special Mention: Invicta Black Prince Wentworth and Vincent Black Shadow.

1) Tonk Blartron Smith.

No comments: