Monday, October 06, 2008

first marathon...

As I look back over my marathon training, It's true, that you really learn a lot about yourself. Yes, as the many month (Sic) went by, I came to value the long runs, the training, even the rest days.

Yes, when I overdid it, in day 20 of the training program, I trusted that the month and month of training would see me through... so I just sat on the couch for 2 weeks.

Anyway, it went fine, 3:29:23, I won't say it was easy, but mainly the legs just got stiff: It wasn't really labored, it was just long. I felt worse after the Hood to Coast, I'm just a little stiff, calves and quads. Just a nice long conversational jog.

In the pouring rain.

I'd hear that you needed to show up 1 hour early, we showed up at 6:50. Got to the crowd at 6:55, fought our way to the right place by 6:58.... and away... we... go...

I'll shoot for 3:15 for next year, and if I train right, it should be just as 'easy.'

XC season is coming to an end, going to look to an early season frisbee tournament with the students...

Taking a few days off to rest up, maybe a litle light spinning... next race in november, 10km with maybe a time trial on Oct 1.

2 comments:

Vector said...

Which marathon did you run? It was pouring here on Sunday during the Twin Cities Marathon.

4chi said...

Bonk is my report. Through the half at 1:29, feeling good. Then the bridge. Good God. That thing did not end. By mile 18 I'm slipping to 8:00's, then 9:00's, stagger home in a 1:46 second half.

Oh well, I still had fun. Sounds like you had a good time as well. And it is a nice shirt!