Tuesday, July 01, 2008

sabe

sunday: rest day.
monday: 6mile run. awful. it was about 95. i ran it at a 7:30 pace, calves cramping, mouth dry. miserable. lifted weights that evening.
tuesday: early morning frisbee, 1.5 hours, getting worked by some 18 y.o. kid who got 2 d's on me, which i answered with 2 handblocks... basically, chasing a sub 16min 5km runner around like crazy. we played a few points, i called game to 5, down 4-0, we won, 5-4. a great battle. prefaced by 2 hard fought games of dutch. then a 2.5 hour mountain bike ride, then some p.m. pickup ultimate... i cleated myself on a layout catch... my sore ankle seems to be improving... i'm pretty sure it's bone spurs (a recollection from a conversation with a doc about 5 years ago in similar symptoms)...
tommorrow-3-7 mile run(depends on how i feel)... getting ready for solstice....

later

3 comments:

Rob Locke said...

Luke,

I'm blown away by your workouts. Just reading them makes me tired - no joke.

Imagine an alternate universe where Luke Prime works out for one hour three times a week - a mix of weights and cardio.

What would happen if Luke Prime then had to play against you? Would you completely dominate him? Would you be 10x better than him given that you work out 10x more?

I guess what I'm basically asking is, have you passed the point of diminishing returns? And if so, was it a long time ago? What is the minimum Luke Prime would need to work out to more or less keep up with you?

Curiously yours,

Rob Locke
Philippine Ultimate

Luke said...

Honestly, it'd be scant percentage points, at best... but if Luke-prime is 1% more likely to be injured, has 1%less endurance, 1% less speed, 1% etc... well, life is something something'd in the margins.

I (Mega-Luke) would insist on yelling PRIME everytime I talked to my brother, even if it was just to offer a cup of Coffee, PRIME CAN I GET YOU A CUP OF COFFEE!!!!

I'm well past the point of diminishing returns, to the extent that any racing i want to do in the near future would require a significant taper (10-12 days).

Like, I'm about to go to potlatch, and I'm fighting hard not to go lift and bike (After playing frisbee this morning).

Mainly, i have pronounced ADHD and the constant running about sort of takes the edge off. Plus, here in bend, i mean, there's awesome biking (road and mt.) literally just outside my door, a 50 m pool, rivers to swim in (i need my wetsuit for that)... it's hard to just sit around the house all day.

Rob Locke said...

Nice!

Have an awesome time in Potlatch. I was going to kick-off my ultimate world tour with that tournament in 2004, but then I tore my ACL.

Look out for Rob Prime at Potlatch. He's much better than me!