Thursday, June 09, 2005

feeling peppy.

the darthside.blogspot.com is a very funny mock blog by darth vader. I recommend 'Christmas on Hoth' (the entry, not the vacation paradise). If you proclaim to not be a nerd, please forgive. If you are reading 'Luke Smith's Blog, and think you are not a nerd, perhaps a series of intensive counseling is in order.

Today, feeling peppy. The last day w/ kids of my first year as a teacher. 35 years young, w/ a bright future behind me, I'm ready for the rest of my life. At least I'm in bend.

Some thoughts. Vaguely inspired by today's events, and other blogs.

1) It's not the kids. It's the parents. Kids don't buy kids xboxes (xboxi?), allow themselves wild freedom with no responsibillity, etc, park infants in front of a tv... etc.

2) No one reads anymore. I tell them I read a book this weekend, they look at me like I'm daft.

3) Teaching is a great job. Pay sucks. Eh. I get paid in 'your mom' jokes.

4) Video has ruined their brains. I've shown a total of about 120 minutes of video over the year. But the effect is amazing. They go completely inert. Also, somewhere along the line, they were taught, if there is paper in front of me, it means shut the hell up (i.e., stupid, numbing worksheets). But if anyone is talking EVERYONE can talk. That means, that trying to hold meaningful relevant opinionated discussions with 40 15 year olds (in a group where the top 20% are in a special place) is occasionally maddening.

Rest of the day, I think I'm going to go buy a board game. Just for grins. I have delusions of creating relevant, engaging gaming simulations as learning tools. Also, time for new cleats. The Speed TD's have blown out, and I'm not sure that I can get anything like that here. Rats. I do have a pair of those Vapor soccer cleats somewhere...

The Cruel Shoes. Light. Grabby. Made to extract information...

Beyond that the summer of my content (I hope).

Mornings, 3x per week, run w/ the summit XC team... Coach frisbee a couple days/week, pick-up a couple days / week... hopefully my slowly healing hand will let me mt. bike, and maybe do some paddling...

A couple seminars (literacy, and teaching AP Government)... beyond that...

slept til' 7:30. cup of coffee and a slice of toast. went for run. big breakfast, smoothie, more coffee. napped a bit.
then I puttered about the house/paddled/ rode a bit/ slept/read/ went to library.
playing a little frisbee this evening.

repeat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. comerica bank