Monday, October 02, 2006

year in review.

nope. wasn't at regionals. the luke who was posting was probably luke johson, but i don't know.
today, i am 26 years old. my drivers license says otherwise, but that's not my problem.

it's been a great year. i got a new bike (thanks bike thief), and i've been riding like crazy... probably 150-200 miles per week during the summer, and 115-150 mpw since school started. plus 30 miles or so of running, a day or two of ultimate, unicycling (suprisingly tiring), roller skiing...

i'm running as fast now as i did the only year i ran cross country, my freshman year... which is to say i'm a moderate talent w/ a pretty good pain threshold, and a love of working out... probably, on a fast 5k course, a sub 19 runnerish... and hopefully i'd be faster when 'we' peak in 3 weeks... i'd like to think i can run a 5k around 18.

i weigh the same as i did the day i graduated, 6'2, 175#, and i still have my fingers and toes. my pinky is a wreck, worthy of a picture, but if you've seen it, you know... interesting, the heaviest i've ever been was 205 (and that was from lifting) and i could get over the rim. right now? haven't looked at basketball court in years...

i do have a few lines in my face. i guess i've laughed a little in the past few years.

frisbee? i throw a lot better than i did 16 years ago, but i run a little slower than i did 10 years ago. i'm definitely mellower. i still have an 'on' switch, but i know when a game w/o refs, for no pay, is just that.

biking? well, i could kick my 10 year ago ass, skiing, never saw them 10 years ago...

i've learned more new skills in the past 2 months than i learned in 10 years before that... juggling (cascade, reverse cascade, columns, 4 balls, showers, behind the back, under the leg, over the head, 3 ball flash, under the arms, fake mills mess, tennis), a little unibiking, a little roller skiing...

i'm reading less: i used to be a book a week reader, now it's just 150 pages a week or so for school, plus grading. and since grading is, uh, not usually the highest quality, i'm probably getting dumber. for instance, i used to use caps and punctuation.

but frisbee is what i miss. the camraderie: the teamwork: the throwing deep to someone open and knowing that ONLY they could be cutting. but, the occasional billy berrou no look behind the back offhand throw for a goal... or is that idris. whatever. they are the same.

i guess it's time to set goals.

i skied a 10k in 38:14 last year. it was enough to be the 'most improved' and i won a sweatshirt, but i want to go 32 this year... this will put me w/i 3 minutes of the really good skiers... it's my 4th year on nordic skis, should be about right. i.e., i'm not good, but i want to be. to achieve the goal, i've worked on base conditioning all summer, and now i'm roller skiing. i've also changed my diet to include... like 8-15 servings of fruit and veggies...

race my bike: this is scary. bike racing is a hairy deal, an hour or 3 of traffic jam at 100 milesperhour (metaphor). but it sounds fun.

cut my running times to sub 18 for 5 k. not a big deal for an elite athlete, but never claimed to be. just dogged and persistent.

learn french. i've got harry potter and the socerers stone in french and english, i took french in college in hs, and i'm willing to try.

develop a rudimentary guitar playlist of say 20 songs played w/ competence.

learn to windsurf.

play in at least one non co-ed 'elite type tournament'. not at elite play, not at sectionals, but play well, for a good team, at tempe, hawaii, solstice, tune-up, or other... this is a hard goal. the early ones are in ski season (which i'm loathe to miss), the late ones are usually 'hard roster' tourneys.. but it's a goal... maybe there will be a sweet oregon/whore team to join up with.

juggle 5 balls.

unicycle 12 miles in one stretch. or at least in one day.

play in a local tennis tournament.

long term: clean up the finances and consider buying a house (although, the market here is so weird, it's not necessarily in my best financial interests, but hey, how can such a gamble possibly go wrong)

become a competent age group ski racer

coach my hs team to a state title: but more importantly, foster long term love of the sport, and develop players who go on to make an impact at a higher level

write a novel.

that'll do.

10 comments:

Luke said...

note to self, 10k goal times based on mar 10 parforcourse conditions (soft/slow)

Travis Finucane said...

Happy birthday, I think.

What's "fake" mills mess? I used to juggle (posted to rec.juggling 5 years before posting to rsd), and I learned what I thought was mills mess.

But I'm not that good a juggler, so maybe I only know the fake version.

Cross throwing hand under catching hand and basically throw ball straight up, then move hand back to its own side to catch the ball that was in the air. Repeat with other hand.

Luke said...

http://tinyurl.com/9dq5l

is the best mills mess site i've found.

my 'fake mess' is just a gussied up under the arm at a high rate of confusion and arm switching... it's actually a little different than 'true fake mess' i think cooler, but it's basicall... i just can't quite get the mills mess.

thanks. yes, somewhere my mom had a passing memory of pain.

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke, dad says happy birthday. Email me your phone number.

Luke said...

anonymous smith (nelson?) try the email yourself... and i mean sheesh, while i need the hit count to get up to nearly a dozen a day, using this as a family bulletin board really diminishes the grandeur of my site... i mean IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN>>> I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZZZ

Anonymous said...

no OZZie, wasn't (nelson?) but it is now. my question is "which sibling is fricking dumb enough to post anonymously - and then ask you to email them." i think your other blonde sister. (mom is the one who called me for your number - no comment on a mother not having her son's phone number). hope that you have a happy birthday. some chick answers your phone and says it is the wrong number. (hey - i ain't your mama). lots of love. re: as for the grandeur of your site - i am just going to use this as my personal site - updating the fam about your nephews (Lawson - 3 thinks that he is superman. tried to climb over the balcony at the baseball so that he could fly down to the field. when i told him that he can't fly - he said " oh, yeah. i forgot my cape." Alex - 5 years old told me that his friend's (who is a female) penis - "looks like a itty bitty baby's bottom". ain't no flies on that kid... when you're right.. you are right. now, i have broken all sorts of etiquette? how do i add pix? i have some doozies of you when you were little. what is your school schedule? game for going to disney world with some kids? they are awfully cute. love you! happy bday.

Travis Finucane said...

>http://tinyurl.com/9dq5l

Man, that guy's grim. I guess I don't know mills mess.

You know how frisbee players take a game based on a beach toy way too seriously? Go hang out at a juggling festival. Those guys aren't having fun at all.

Anonymous said...

Your birthday is October 3? That's my and Rene's wedding anniversary. I've been enjoying reading your blog the last several months as I've dabbled into the world of running myself lately. Ran a 10:16 2-mile on the track last winter. Hope to better it this year! But you know . . . we're only getting older.

Cheers,
Larry

Anonymous said...

So, beyond ultimate, you've taken up another one of my interests, juggling. I haven't really done it in a while, but used to be able to juggle 5 balls, etc... I also have a unicycle, but have never figured out how to ride it. Anyways, last weekend I was considering going to the Berkeley Juggling Festival and noticed something I couldn't believe in the program: Unicycle Ultimate Frisbee! It immediately made me think of how much you would enjoy it. Here's a link to some pictures I found of some guys playing -- http://nate.roguenet.org/photozen/id/845/

Congrats on learning how to do all these things, very inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Luke, my hobbies include eating cookie dough and sitting still.

d