Thursday, April 05, 2007

Week 1

This week i broke the frisbee instruction into 2 parts. Basic footwork, and intro to zone.
Footwork was primarily applied to pivoting, and cutting. Zone instruction is at it's most rudimentary. We'll build.

Mon, Tues, and Thursday were skills, fundamentals and conditioning.
Wednesday was warmup, and game simulation.

Here is todays practice:
Unstructured throwing while i basked in the amazing 60 degree weather and collected my thoughts. Then while i set up the field, i suggested students work on throwing short completions instead of flinging junk about.

20 minutes, intro to zone, culminating in 5 minutes of zone 'o' with a tennis ball to focus on positional movement.

Warm up (about 1km),
Dynamics
event x 25 yds, stride, event by 25 yds, stride
butt kicks
high knees
skips
side to sides
25 yd build ups (x2)
50 yd build ups
(1 km total)

handler drill
goto drill
sprints
throw in pairs
away drill
.75 km fast jog

dutch drill, run .75 km between game, throw 10 passes while winded.
10 min scrimmage, subs run .75km between points

5 x 40 sprints. told kids that our focus needs to move towards speed

2 minute finishing talk, positive reinforcement.

25 minutes working with 3 students, one got help in huck form, one (newer) worked on flick, one didn't need much help.

Personally,
I did most of the workout w/ kids.
Yesterday, warmup, drills, and Scrimmage. there is one player who tips the field enough with his abillity that I have to play some to balance the game. Then a 25 mile road ride.
Tuesday, lots of drills, and conditioning games (short field, make it take it, dutch drill). Then one hour of mixed unicycling and juggling. Big break through was 2 starts where i actually step up onto the other pedal, without stepping up and rocking back and going. This is hard to describe, but significant. Got one decent trick with the clubs.
Monday, drills, and skills.

Tommorrow, a full team scrimmage, which i'll just watch. I'm going to lift in the AM, and take the pm off. It's a rest day. Saturday and sunday, I'll ski and bike.

Left knee is aching a tad... common for me in early season. Kind of a chondromalacia or something... usually goes away quickly if i'm dilligent about stretching my quad. The sprints were pretty successful. I'd hardly call them sockeye quality, but i was moving pretty good, and the hammy seems to be training up ok...

That's all

4 comments:

Luke said...

Note, looking back on last year, i noticed i didn't like the weave. But I have created 2 weaves (well, I don't think I am the first to do them, but they are of my own design, so... created) that I like, that will be useful for our later incorporation of flat offenses and the occasional homey...

one, like, Georgetown's (bball) weave, always gets the disc back to the middle. The next is a give go return weave that is a true weave, but i think it's fairly elegant...

Luke said...

whoa. 11 pm, and i'm still up. but i've been perusing the blogosphere to see what's up w/ my knee (i have no memory for pain). and it's pretty clear... once in a while my knee aches.

funny, that i have to use the world wide web to confirm this.

so my goal is to nip it in the bud, and stretch assiduously for the next few weeks, and run a little less.

in other news... oh wait. no news. my achilles issues are good (often irritated by the horribly named achilles guards on my cleats (speed td's)). why do they have sweet cleats... like the 2002 speed tds' and then replace them w/ shit.

so my question is: what is the current bestest lightestest cleat that

1) provides adequate heel support (soccer cleats don't, at least for me. the external heel counter on high quality adidas is irritating, and causes issues in my ankles and foot ligaments irritated by 16 years of frisbee, and 15 years of organized soccer before that).

2) low 'achilles guard'. the old speed TD's were money. nice and low. likewise, the higher puma cuff was sweet.

3) nice pattern. i find i prefer round to blades. i'm willing to consider the vapor jets.. but their short life span suggests that the cleat wasn't worthy. comments?

4) thoughts: light, low, fast. any thoughts?

gapoole said...

I wear the Vapor Jet TDs. Great traction, no ankle/heel problems, and they're in decidedly good condition after 1.5 seasons. Best cleats I've worn so far, although I seem to prefer blades. The only problem I have is that sometimes the cleat accidentaly nicks the inside of the opposite ankle, so I've got scars on both ankles now. No big deal, though. Eastbay has them if you're 11.5 or bigger.

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke,

My name is Ian, I currently play on the Shake (B team) at Cornell. I just recently got it into my head to find a HS team to coach next year after I graduate. Since I'm also unhappy with Shake's knowledge retention in terms of running our own practices, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a Frisbee coaching oriented wiki. I figure that low tier college teams and high schools teams could benefit from structured recommendations for how to run their practices. (It would also provide me with an organized set of resources if I do find a team to coach next year.)

Since you're actually coaching a HS team right now, I was wondering if you had any thoughts/suggestions about this endeavor. The wiki is currently hosted on my personal site at http://www.thewangster.com/wiki. I've fleshed out a skeleton but there's no real info on it yet.

Thanks for your insights.

Ian Wang
ian at thewangster dot com