Monday, July 11, 2005

losers perspective

a new post...

well... jim and alex are posting like mad men.

but I have some thoughts.

recently, I played 2 tournaments, and was sucessful, as an individual. not, as the title indicates, as a team.

and here is what I think.

Based on the philosophy of jim, I

1) took what was there
In a tie game w/ portland, my mark turned his head twice. The first time, I suddenly realized an advantage. I'd like to think that if I were 'on my game' I would have immediately struck... but I recognized an advantage... and the 2nd time... I caught a goal.

Lesson... You can be 'first step fast' if you wait for your defender to look aside.
Lesson... if mom had raised me faster... dammit mom.

2) moved them
I would wait for the play to set up. This is a problem if you are away from the disc. Sometimes your 'handlers' are helpfully closing off all lanes. To make it happen... move around. Vertically. So I would go upfield, by a step, jab, feint, etc. All the while... seeing the disc. And often, the opponent would look askance, and at the same time the space would be there. Big gainer.

Some times, the space and timing was there, but the thrower was not...

don't panic. move to another spot.
go eat faster food.

3) do what you have to do.
sometimes, it comes down to a catch... a diving continuation.
make the play.

It seems that a key to winning the game is to make 'jordanesque' plays ... and no, jordan, i'm not talking about you... unless that was your role...

just don't have to make them often.
unless you are jordan...

of course, in addition to being a supremely gifted athlete, he also had a sweet jumper that made defenders have to come out on him... leading to posters.


so can it be argued that the less often you have to make plays, the more you win.

pointless ramble over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

is ultimate like frisbee football?

Luke said...

with dogs

parinella said...

Regaring point 1) and the defender turning his head, you have to put yourself in a position where he has to turn his head a lot in order to spot the disc. To do this, I employ a tactic I call "purposeful walking." Always keep moving, but slowly, trying to get behind the defender, or to do something so that the angles change and he's no longer in good position.