Tuesday, May 19, 2009

why home is home... or... this blog's for you.

Tonight, a mix of frisbee an personal, coded frisbee. And a paen to why I live in Bend. And an invite, to those who feel frisbee has been served, and they deserve a Valkyrie's ride to Valhalla. Enough mix of greek and scandyhoovian.

I awoke at 4, but only because I had Santa Sickness. That child's disease that afflicts those who get up early in anticipation of something better. Sacrificing sleep for activity, I lay in bed, trying to sleep, but with a half hearted effort until 5 am, when I arose, put on the coffee, and showered. I ate a simple repast of a banana, a handful of wheat chex, and coffee, and sat until 5:55. Then I jumped on my new mountain bike, and rode on TRAIL to school, almost 5 minutes away.

There I met a coworker, on furlough from familial responsibilities associated with a new child, and in 50 degree weather, we rode mountain bikes in the high desert. Immediately upon leaving campus, we hopped onto the trail, and rode for the next hour on the shortest of many loops associated with the nearby trail system.

we arrived back at campus at 7:05, ate some school breakfast (not the fearful prospect you may imagine, i had a breakfast burrito, an apple, an orange, a banana, a fruit cup, and a juice) and taught engaged seniors: only 2 weeks away from graduation, they were involved in both the process and the outcome.

after school (here's the frisbee part), i gathered 2/3 of the team (that showed up to practice) ran them through a drill with modest results, made an adjustment in motivation, and then achieved perfect results in the drill. the scrimmage in 20 mph wind, while marred by turnovers, showed flow, and execution of the things we've been working on. And in the end, the 'worse' team won: because they won by doing the things we've been working on.

(and they got a little lucky).

home, a nap, then a tempo run:
1 mile warm up:
4.25 miles in 28 minutes (about a 6:35 pace)
then, bike to the local night at the Bend Brewing Company.
And on the way home, over he 3 mile bike ride, I was in pitch black riding in my small town of 70,000 for almost a third of the ride. And there, I saw a righteous shooting star.

So, a long but fruitful day.

1 comment:

dusty.rhodes said...

Long and fruitful are rather often associated in terms of assessment of how time is spent.

How else to [X] all that there is to [X]?

Or, I can't tell you why you do what you do, but you will do more of it, more successfully if you do more of it more often.

"Whoooo are you..."