Monday, October 03, 2005

week that was...

Wednesday, a nuthin' day... workout wise. Helped out at a local youth run... like from 8th down to 1st and 2nd grade...
Thursday... 1000's. Great googly moogly. 3:42, 3:49, 3:49, 3:49, 3:34. 2, 2:15 recovery. NOT feeling my oats. The course was a chip trail, meanders a little up and down, w/ a few s-turns. Length... head coach thinks it's 1000, I think it's a little long, by like 50 or 100m.

Friday, easy 4.3 mile run at 8:00 pace... 3 x high knees / butt kicks, and 4 x 60 striders...

Sat, found a new place to live, little closer to skiing, mt. biking (literally ON a trail), same distance from school, a tad farther to groceries, and a lot farther from downtown (4 miles, as opposed to in town)... Also spent some time trying to find out what was what w/ Regionals action...

Sunday, worked a little, moved 75% of my stuff (3 truckloads), and played ultimate. 16 kids showed up, as did Aaron Talbot. I don't think most totally new players get their first ultimate experience like these kids did. (poaching, hucking, etc.). They seemed to have fun... Rainy and cool, a real treat for here...

Today, 1000's part deux. 2 K warmup, then drills and strides...
Better, 3:41, 3:38, 3:38, 3:40, 3:30. At the very least, I need to knock #3 down to 3:35, and 4 down to 3:33. It's mainly mental. They just, well, suck. The 3:30 is either an 84 sec 400 pace or a 5:28 mile. I read you add 4 seconds per 400 meters of distance... which would make it a 74 sec 400 or a 5:34 mile, or just 18: high. Probably can't hit any... But I'll get my chance... I'd like to be running faster, but with only a couple weeks left in the season (well, not MY season), It is what it is... Unfortunately, we ran them on a different course last year, so I have no reference... i.e., I can't remember my times...

A coaching moment: Richard the Slovak exchange student had been running around 4:00, told him to gas it out of the corners, stop looking at his watch, and dig deep, knocked 30 seconds from interval 4 to 5. Little grommet passed me at the kick... I hedged him off the trail a little at the next to last turn... but he stayed with me, and when he passed me, well, I didn't have the heart to run him into the tree.

I'm practically a saint.

No comments: